Blog Surfer

Tuesday 26 November 2013

#132 White Swan, Harborne, Birmingham : 1967 to 2013

As I didn't first visit Birmingham until 1975, you can probably guess that this photo isn't one of mine!
© Phyllis Nicklin 1967
Some months ago I came across this archive held by Birmingham University as part of Project Chrysalis. Phyllis Nicklin took lots of photos of urban Birmingham over a period from 1953 to 1968 and I've spent many a joyful hour looking through them to see a Birmingham I didn't know. Sadly, from my point of view, there aren't enough pubs in the collection, but not everyone shares my obsession.

Over the years I've been in the White Swan (or Dirty Duck as it is also known) several times, although not for quite a few years. It has always been a bit more upmarket than most Brum pubs.

This is the photo I took earlier this year.
© Peter Allen 2013
From the outside remarkably little has changed in the intervening 46 years! The tree trunk is a bit wider and a low fence/hedge has been added. It is also interesting to note how many more lines there are on the road now compared to in 1967!

No comments:

Post a Comment