Blog Surfer

Monday 14 October 2019

Strolling Through Scouseland

It was time for another Beer & Pubs Forum Proper Day Out and it was one I'd been looking forward to as I'd never been drinking in the centre of Liverpool.

The 'official' report by Pub Curmudgeon can be found here and here. This is my more pictorial essay...but this time I did make a note of every beer that I drank!

The day started off drizzly and overcast as so many of these days out seem to. Arriving at Lime Street Station I tried to get my bearings on the local maps and on Google maps, thinking it might be complicated (first time in a new city, etc!) So, after five minutes wasted, I stepped out of the station...and there was The Crown Hotel!
The Crown Hotel, Liverpool
Inside I met up with Peter and Paul (aka the two 'Mudgies') which was to be our full complement for the bulk of the day. My first pint of the day was Hop for Heroes from the Rudgate Brewery, which I enjoyed (don't expect any NBSS scoring from me!). It was here that Paul got a message from Sheffield Hatter saying that he'd be joining us at some stage during our tour.

So, next on the itinerary was the Ship & Mitre. I was happy to follow Peter and Paul as I really had no idea where I was going for most of the day!
Ship & Mitre, Liverpool
It is an impressive, solid building that is pleasantly cosy and welcoming inside. I chose a pint of Lupa which is brewed by their own Flagship Brewery. Again, a pleasant pint.

Moving on to another impressive building, The Railway.
The Railway, Liverpool
This was our designated lunch stop and it served its purpose very well. It was nicely busy (we managed to find a table and seats!) and was appointed in a slightly more contemporary style...plenty of cushions! Anyway, the Scouse was very good and my pint of Dizzy Blonde from Robinson's was also good.

Almost next door was our post lunch venue, The Lion Tavern.
The Lion Tavern, Liverpool
The pub is named after a steam locomotive that now resides in the Museum of Liverpool. Inside it was cosy, characterful and an 'old school' city pub. I had a pint of Salopian Lemon Dream which wasn't as lemony as I remembered, but still good.
The Lion Tavern, Liverpool
This was the view looking up!

Moving on (no rest for the Pubmen on a day out!) and our next stop was Ye Hole in Ye Wall.
Ye Hole in Ye Wall, Liverpool
This was another 'old skool' boozer largely unspoilt with the passage of time. I had a half of Noble Pilsner from the Lancaster Brewery. I was glad to only have a half as this experiment, to make a cask ale that tastes like a lager, didn't work for me!

Moving just around the corner (and passing two other pubs) we came to Thomas Rigby's.
Thomas Rigby's, Liverpool
Housed in another impressive building this was another proper pub where I had a pint of Red Star Formby IPA which was pleasant. I was amazed that this one street corner housed four pubs and one bar/nightclub which is more than some small towns have in total!

After the luxury of (twice) almost walking next door for the next pub, we now had a long stroll to our next destination, the Baltic Fleet.
Baltic Fleet, Liverpool
By now the rain was long gone and the sun had come out giving a rather pleasant afternoon stroll along the docks of Liverpool. The Baltic Fleet is an impressive building. Designed to resemble the prow of a ship it has chimneys and masts on the roof to give an even more nautical ambience.

Inside, I was less impressed as the décor was much more contemporary with pastel shades and bare brick walls. My pint of Wooden Ships from Neptune Brewery was good.
Baltic Fleet, Liverpool                                                                            © Photo Digital Art 2019
Then it was the long(ish) stroll back to the centre via Liverpool One where, remarkably, we didn't get lost. (I take no credit for this as I didn't really know where we were going for most of the day!)

We arrived at the White Star to find it packed and with live music on!
White Star, Liverpool
With the live guitarist bashing out Beatles and Oasis songs and there being little room to sit down I didn't expect us to stay too long. So, I decided that what I needed was a half of Carling from Molson Coors to refresh my palate. It was cool and refreshing as always and the Draught Bass wouldn't have achieved the same effect! Although we found some plastic temporary seating, we didn't stay too long...but it is a lovely pub and well worth a visit outside of prime time!

Our next, and final pub wasn't too far away.
Globe Hotel, Liverpool
The Globe is another great little city centre boozer, largely unspoilt by progress and not quite as busy as the White Star had been (but there wasn't much free seating). Here I had a pint of Wainwright from Marston's which was also pleasant.

As we were now quite close to the station, Peter and I had time for one more in The Crown whilst Paul's train was due and he left us (to be fair, he'd done the other 10 or so Liverpool heritage pubs the day before, so we understood!)
The Crown Hotel, Liverpool                                                              © Photo Digital Art 2019
Now it was early evening the place was heaving, but we managed to find seats in the back room. I finished with a pint of Gritchie Lore which was a nice way to end an excellent day's stroll around Scouseland.

Good beer, great company and some magnificent boozers - all-in-all a superb day out!

4 comments:

  1. Some excellent photos �� some excellent boozers in excellent company! �� Great stuff ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. If u give information about year's of build that will be awsome

    ReplyDelete