Blog Surfer

Tuesday 19 January 2021

#011 Pall Mall, Cheapside, Birmingham : 1998 to 2021 (RIP)

I know what you're thinking - no entries for over a month and then three come along in quick succession - what is going on? Well, with lockdown ongoing, I thought it was time to catch up on some of my previous Birmingham pubs. As there are quite a few to get through I need to increase my output! 

Just down the road from The Fountain (on the next street corner), the fate of the Pall Mall will come as no surprise, as it had already been demolished by the time I reported on it back in 2011. Ten years later and you can see what has been done to the site. Firstly, though, here is what I wrote in 2011: -

"Back in 1998 I went around the Digbeth/Deritend/Highgate area of Birmingham taking photos of all the pubs I could find. It was my intention to return in 10 years to see how the Birmingham Eastside development had affected these pubs. I didn't find the time in 2008 and so, finally, I revisited the area this year with my camera and these are the results. 
This is the second in my 'Eastside' series.

As I toured the streets of Digbeth in 1998 I came across a few pubs that I never knew existed; the Pall Mall was one of them. I don't think I've been in it, but I've done one or two pub crawls around the area, so I might have!

Here we are in 2011 and I'll never have the chance to drink here! This is the sort of shot I was envisaging in 1998 when I started out on this project, but it is still depressing to be confronted with the reality. Interestingly, the street sign, street light, junction box and road sign are untouched!"
 
I did return in 2018 and this was the extent of the development.
Hardly a startling amount of progress in seven years, still there were some signs of activity! (but the junction box and controlled parking sign both remain.)

Moving on to 2021 and this was the visage. At least the controlled parking sign is still present even though the road is closed!
 
Finally, almost TEN years after the Pall Mall had been demolished the replacement building is almost finished. This reinforces a question about property development that has bugged me for years - why are developers so quick to knock old buildings down and then so slow to construct the replacements? 
(Answers in the comments section below!)

4 comments:

  1. Ansells Ales - now there's a name from the past. From what I recall, the brewery was closed by its owners - Allied, because of its poor industrial relations record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was Birmingham in the 1980's!! When I first came to Brum (in 1976) almost all the pubs were either M&B or Ansell's! I think that's part of the reason that Birmingham was a bit slower in producing new beers and ales when the latest 'revolution' started...but I think they're catching up now!

      Delete
  2. Just revisiting your last comment Pete, there's a large and boarded up, "development" plot, directly opposite Sevenoaks station.

    It was once the site of the Farmer's Arms, a popular and thriving pub, purchased by an opportunist development company.

    Despite a campaign to keep the pub open, it was closed and subsequently demolished.

    That was at least 10 years ago, and the site has remained empty ever since. The town has been deprived of a valuable asset, and all for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so frustrating! These companies seem to be able to get away with it and so keep on doing it. I could understand it taking 1 - 2 years to prepare the site for the new buildings, but 10+ years is unforgivable!

      Delete