Blog Surfer

Saturday 29 February 2020

#024 Eden Bar, Birmingham : 1998 to 2020 (Revisited)

These were my observations back in 2011: -

Another pub that I've never been in, but is an example that illustrates one of the changes in Birmingham's culture.
 This is the ninth in my 'Birmingham Eastside' series.

Back in 1998 it was The White Swan a seemingly typical street corner pub, just outside the city centre.

Now in 2011 it is the Eden Bar, one of the newer additions to the Gay Scene in Birmingham.

Since I began this project, the Gay Scene in Birmingham has 'come out' so that there are now a number of gay venues that are 'loud and proud'. The Eden Bar is no longer a traditional pub, but you can probably just pop in for a drink.

From the outside The White Swan has been changed quite extensively and the Eden Bar certainly stands out more. Just up the road is the Village Inn which is a completely new 'pub' and another gay venue.

Since then, the Eden Bar has gone from strength to strength, but is now threatened (potentially) by the possibility of residential accommodation being built next door...but in the meantime this is how it looked on Sunday 23rd February 2020.
It has been substantially redecorated in the intervening nine years, but I cannot comment on the interior as I've still not been inside.

Another view of the Eden Bar is here, showing another pub with much more fanciful decoration than you'd normally expect from a pub...but I like it!
After dark, the upper portion is lit up in rainbow colours from uplighters where the plant boxes used to be, but I've never been passing with my camera.

4 comments:

  1. Got a day and nights pubbing in Brum coming up this June, The Eden Bar is, I have to say, unlikely to be one of them, even though I don't mind a colourful pub. No real ale apparently, you may get a Carling though. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not one that I'd recommend for real ale! The Lamp tavern is just around the corner, though.
      Have fun when you do visit and, if you need a tour guide my charges are very reasonable!

      Delete
  2. I'm in Brum on Friday 12 of June staying in the nearby Ibis, so The Lamp is a possibility, if you're about then let us know, is a pint of Carling still the going rate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britain Beermat6 March 2020 at 21:29

    He's more expensive these days Citra �� it's Beavertown and Cloudwater these days �� never been to Eden but loving the colours ��

    ReplyDelete