Blog Surfer

Wednesday 10 February 2021

#010 Market Tavern, Deritend, Birmingham : 1998 to 2021 (RIP)

 This will be a very short entry. In 1998 the Market Tavern was a going concern, but by the time I returned in 2011 it had closed. Here's what I wrote at that time: -

"Back in 1998 I went around the Digbeth/Deritend/Highgate area of Birmingham taking photos of all the pubs I could find. It was my intention to return in 10 years to see how the Birmingham Eastside development had affected these pubs. I didn't find the time in 2008 and so, finally, I revisited the area this year with my camera and these are the results. 
This is the first in my 'Eastside' series.

This is a 'classic' style of Birmingham pub built by James & Lister Lea and there are several more to be seen in this series. I've never actually been in this pub.

Here we are in 2011 and it's still there! Almost completely unchanged even though many of the nearby buildings have disappeared. It is a Grade II listed building, but I'm not sure if it is still open as a pub; the CAMRA website seems to indicate that it is closed. Another picture can be seen here.

Having discovered the Wikipedia page for James & Lister Lea, it would appear that the British Oak in Stirchley (#007 on my list) is also one of theirs and is a Grade II listed building!"
 
(Interestingly, none of the hyperlinks that were in that text are working now, 10 years later)
 
It is a magnificent building and a superb example of James & Lister Lea's pub output, but it isn't being used as a pub!
 
So, what of the Market Tavern in 2021?
It is still there and, externally at least, very well maintained. The hanging sign says "The Minerva Suite", but I can find little evidence to determine its current usage. It may have been a recording studio and home of an indie Brummie record label, but firm information is thin on the ground.

I'm very happy that the building is so well maintained and that it's Grade II status keeps it protected, but it is so sad that it isn't used as a pub any longer. Unfortunately, it is in the wrong place. Although there is still quite a bit of industry in the area, lunchtime drinking is so out of fashion that there would be little daytime trade, hidden away in the back streets.
 
The area is becoming more residential as many new blocks are constructed, but there would have to be a massive change in societal attitudes for the Market Tavern to become the 'village local'...sadly!
 
My only 'solution' would be to dismanle it carefully and rebuild it in a neighbourhood that would appreciate such a treasure of a pub. Not going to happen...but one can dream!

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous building! I like your idea of taking it apart, brick by brick, and moving it somewhere it will be appreciated as a pub. Dream on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used this pub on man utd away days. Probably around mid 80s to mid 90s. Always made time to visit mine host shae and breeds. Proper pub

    ReplyDelete
  3. This building is having its Grade II listed status removed, likely for demolition
    https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=297081503212221&set=pcb.3182718668541418

    ReplyDelete