Blog Surfer

Tuesday 23 March 2021

#038 Big Bull's Head, Digbeth, Birmingham : 1998 to 2021

For our latest foray into the Digbeth pub scene we're on the main drag and closer to town. This is what I wrote about the Big Bull's Head in 2011: -

"I'm not sure if I've ever been in the Big Bull's Head in Digbeth. Certainly in 1998 when I took this photo I'd never set foot inside the pub.

It looks like a typical street corner boozer and, although I've done a few pub crawls around Digbeth, I seem to recall that whenever we passed by it was always busy and so we kept on walking.

As the Big Bulls Head is on the main drag through Digbeth I wasn't surprised to see it is still thriving in 2011.
From a physical point of view it has hardly changed in 13 years, but it has obviously been painted and well maintained. The Big Bulls Head has its own website extolling the virtues of its pub food (looks good - proper pub food!!) and their Bed & Breakfast facilities.
This is the seventeenth in my 'Birmingham Eastside' series."
  
In the ten years since I wrote that I'm pleased to report that I have actually been inside the Big Bull's Head! However, before that, this is what it looked like in January 2018.
A new blue colour scheme was evident, but other than that, it looked largely unchanged. I was back in July 2018 with fellow enthusiasts for the Proper Pub Day Out in Digbeth when we visited the Big Bull's Head for our lunchtime stop.
 
Some of our group were disappointed that there was no cask ale available, but my pint of Carling was delightful! The only other things I remember is that it lived up to it's billing as a 'proper pub' and the food was proper pub grub!
 
Finally, we move onto the present day and this is how the Big Bull's Head looks in 2021.
It still has the blue colour scheme as previously, but the downstairs section has been repainted in a darker shade and upstairs left in the paler hue of blue.

I'm reasonably confident that it will reopen in the coming weeks (probably May), but if you want to spend half-an-hour on the history of the Big Bull's Head, this page will give you all the information you might want.

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, "Wot no cask?" I vaguely remember Paul Mudge being unimpressed by some element of his meal, possibly because it had been cooked to within an inch of its life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't remember too much about it, other than it being a better pub than I expected!

      Delete
  2. Still a great pub - cask free - but a great pub. If I could be so bold as to plug my own blog here!!!
    https://lifeafterfootball839.wordpress.com/2019/07/10/digbeth/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Carling was great and the food was good as well...and yes, you may plug your blog here...for the usual fee!!

      Delete