Blog Surfer

Thursday 4 March 2021

#070 The Rainbow, Digbeth, Birmingham : 1998 to 2021 (RIP?)

 Another Digbeth pub that's had a chequered recent history is The Rainbow which, most recently, was resurrected as Finders Keepers. Here's what I wrote in 2012: -

"How fitting that The Rainbow is the thirty-third and FINAL installment in my 'Birmingham Eastside' series. Back in 1998 when I started this project I expected there to be some closures, but I thought it was going to be because of great new developments in the area, not just as part of the general demise of the British pub.

The Rainbow is a survivor, though. In 1998 I'd never been inside, but it looked like a typical street corner pub.
As we move on to 2011, I was surprised to find that The Rainbow had survived and is thriving. However, it's success is mostly down to it now being a prominent Digbeth music venue as well as being a pub. This success hasn't been easy; there has been a constant battle in recent years with the 'johnny-come-lately' residents who have moved into the newly built flats nearby and don't like the noise!
The outside has been completely redecorated, but the original sign remains on the first floor on the corner. And, as I write, now in 2012, I've still not been inside The Rainbow! For the Jubilee weekend it will host several music events." 
 
For quite a few years The Rainbow was a successful entertainment venue, but closed in 2017 because of various issues. This is how it looked in 2018.
The only overt change was the removal of The Rainbow signage. At this stage (Jan 2018) unbeknownst to me, plans were afoot to reopen and rebrand as Finders Keepers.
 
However in the intervening years, The Rainbow did indeed become Finders Keepers which then had to close in 2019 because of noise complaints! (What goes around, comes around!) This was the scene in 2021.
The Rainbow aka
As far as I can ascertain, this closure is permanent...but once the pandemic is over, I suspect that someone will want to have a go at making it a popular venue again. It is listed on the Star Pubs website (Heineken), but there are no substantial details. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks best in the first pic with that elaborate signage. I couldn't remember it at all, Pete, but I guess it was closed on our Digbeth crawl on World Cup Semi Final Day in 2018 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we walked past it, though, on the way to the Wagon & Horses which is under the railway arches off the main drag (now called Dead Wax). I had to look that up on my entry for the day - it was closed anyway!

      Delete